Desert Rat

Friday, March 30, 2007

We stereotype like crazy when it comes to who or what is spiritual.

Once my mom left a particular church because the minister said he smoked a cigar on vacation. She just couldn't believe anyone who smoked could have anything to say about God- it's part of the ex Mormon in her I guess. I hate cigar smoke, but I don't really care if a minister smokes, or see it as any sort of gauge of spirituality. I'm sure that minister wouldn't have mentioned the cigar if he knew ahead of time that he would lose a member of his congregation because of it. There is an element of being a role model when you are a member of the clergy, but how can you predict just what will hit someone the wrong way?

I am sort of nervous about preaching at our church which is very small and friendly, except for one guy who sits in the front row who is soooooo formal. I know one of his employees really well, and she says he is always calling her in about her clothes- for instance, she wore a black dress and he told her black was only for evening wear. She also got in trouble for wearing brown. So now I'm afraid I'll get raked over the coals for breaking some sort of fashion taboo out of ignorance because we really don't have a lot of fussy rules in the Southwestern. (Back East, my daughter says people won't wear white until after Easter and before Labor Day.)Actually, the big truth is, I'm afraid he is very old school and probably objects to a woman in the pulpit.

It's really hard to be yourself- I love the way Jesus did his own thing and let the chips fall where they may. I don't want to be tip toeing around somebody else's expectations but do it all the time.

I hardly ever want to mention I'm a vegetarian because I'm afraid people won't want to invite me to dinner; it feels like a giant character flaw. And I never want to tell my neighborhood friends that I am studying for the ministry. I'm afraid they will think I'm a no fun sort of geek and will harangue them until they convert... Of course the truth is I AM actually boring and, I would love to talk to them about Jesus but nearly always bite my tongue. Mostly, I want to blend in, but it is really hard for me to do that in Malaysia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home