Desert Rat

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

It's really a good idea to have a check list to go through as a "fail safe" mechanism when determining matters of faith- Church Fathers, Councils, Apostles, and Scripture. When we preempt those 4 criteria and do our own thing, we get into all kinds of messes. I think that check list would have stopped Mormonism and Islam for one thing. For me, Mormonism is like Taoism, Hinduism or Buddhism is here; it calls to me only because my mother's side of the family is Mormon/ has a LDS mindset. I have a soft spot for Mormon people, but even as a teenager couldn't believe in the Book of Mormon; now I know why. It would never make it past one of the checkpoints and is no way Christian. I read yesterday that there are now 135 million Pentecostals and Charismatics in Asia out of a total 313 million Christians, meanwhile there are only about 7 million (I can't really remember this exact total)Mormons outside the US.
I only hope all those Pentecostals and Charismatics are using some sort of a check list to keep their faith Christian. It's easy to see if they don't, with so many of them out there, each thinking the Holy Spirit is talking to them, what we are going to wind up with is a whole lot of churches that are sort of Christian, but aren't at all (like the Mormon Church).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home