Desert Rat

Monday, September 11, 2006

The wierdest things turn out true.
I remember all sorts of things other kids would tell me growing up, about the birds and the bees, etc., etc. and I always thought they were making it all up because it wasn't believable to my 8 or 9 year old mind. That's a theological lesson for me, a reminder that just because I don't think something make much sense, doesn't mean it is wrong or inaccurate. Stop and think about all the things that shouldn't happen that happen-Who would have put money on the Crocodile Hunter being stung by a sting ray and dieing, 1 1/2 weeks ago?
We have such finite vision. God can sees the whole picture- the beauty in the ugliness, the ugliness in the beauty. And he knows the all the "whys" and "therefores".
I have always wondered about the crucifixion; if there were other possible endings to Jesus' story, why pick that one? I just don't buy the idea Jesus' death was to satisfy either God or Satan. God would not have been so cruel, and why give so much power to Satan?
I do believe in the subjective theory because good examples are hard to come by; I can't imagine Pres. Bush volunteering to be crucified for the good of the nation. Would any other religious leader besides Jesus die so horribly if they could avoid it? Would Muhammad have done that? Or Moses? Would I?
There must be more to it than modeling behavior, because Jesus' death did change things on a cosmic level, but I will leave it to better minds than mine to discover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home