Desert Rat

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Okay, I'm not a blogger by nature because first of all nobody is out there reading what I write; except for my teacher who has to when it is course related.

I guess I am not thick skinned enough to let everything bounce off me... I doubt there will be an American Independence Day worship service in the US where a Malaysian will have to listen to a lot of anti Malaysian stuff- not because we are tactful, but because we don't have a common history.

So I feel a bit ambushed when I have to listen to it at STM. Americans have never had a war against Malaysia, or been her colonial master. I guess Al Gore insulted Malaysia several years ago; we aren't as polite as Asians in general. So I apologize for that. But I disagree the message he was trying to convey was wrong. Unfair situations in the US have been changed by people caring enough to conduct a civil rights movement at great personal danger. But you have to think real freedom and equality is worth it.

As I see it, what is wrong with the Iraq war is the same thing wrong with the status quo in Malaysia. Not enough Americans are bearing the brunt of the war. If it was painful enough, the war would stop pronto. When things hurt enough for enough people, then there is incentive to make changes. But if you can coast along bearing a bit of pain, the situation is perpetuated.

My country isn't perfect; but neither is anybody's. So, why not just say horay, happy birthday Malaysia without criticizing my country from the pulpit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home